A friend of mine posted this photo on their Facebook wall. Like most people when they first see it, I was overwhelmed with several emotions. First of all, I felt a swell of compassion for these two. I don’t even know them, but I was immediately concerned with their wellbeing. I wanted them to be warm and fed, and protected. Secondly, I was touched with the apparent love and friendship shared by the two, even though they are not even of the same species. I thought, “They may have nothing, but they have each other, so they have everything.” I don’t know by what circumstance this man and this dog came to be together, living on the streets, but I think it is a reflection of the callousness of our society. Whatever the reason they are homeless, they are an opportunity for us, those who have the necessities of life in abundance, to show kindness and compassion. Remember this the next time you drive by a similar scene in your warm car. Remember that if you were in their shoes, you would want, or even if you would be too ashamed to ‘want,’ you would ‘need’ someone to help you. Our apathy is what makes us truly destitute.
- Spring is in the air
- Will the human species ever outgrow religion?
- Mission accomplished
- Structure… shit works better with it.
- Finding a way out of the Fog
- Testing things out on the Chromebook
- Enter The Chromebook
- Googe Docs, Drive, and other things to simplify your life
- Take a break, have a snuggle
- The cycle of self-harm
- Neighborhood drunk chick
- Block Head
- Denice’s recovery, and some other misc. updates.
- Adventures in Laundro-Mat-Land!
- For the Highest Good of All